• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aoashi (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:42 pm Reply with quote

Aoashi (TV)

Genres: drama
Themes: school, soccer, sports

Plot Summary: Aoi Ashito is a third year middle school student from Ehime. Behind his raw game hides his immense talent but Ashito suffers a huge setback because of his overly straightforward personality. The youth team manager of J1 club Tokyo City Esperion, Fukuda Tetsuya, appears in front of Ashito. Fukuda sees Ashito's limitless potential and invites him to take part in his team's tryouts in Tokyo. The story of the boy who will revolutionize football (soccer) in Japan rapidly begins to unfold.

Apr. 9, 2022 (Saturdays; Crunchyroll)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Four episodes in, this is shaping up to be a pretty decent if somewhat by-the-book sports series. The animation is serviceable, and the character designs are fairly distinctive, although it's kind of funny that among the new kids showcased in the promo and credits there are two with pompadours and three with sea urchin poofs. Ashito is a bit abrasive, as are many shonen protags, but he's an ok kid, and the little runt he seems to be pairing up with is charming in a genki sort of way. I also like the coach a lot, though I'm not so sold on his little sister. Ashito's family is nice too.

I'm interested to see how they arrange his living in Tokyo. It's not clear if they have any scholarship program or dorms offered, but they must have some sort of set up for out-of-towners. If he ends up living with the coach or something, that will leave me wondering what other kids normally do if they're not from Tokyo or have relatives there.

Anyway, so far so good. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Eight episodes in, and this is following Ace of Diamond's storyline beat for beat. We're now at the stage where Eijun, I mean, Aoi clearly doesn't have the basic skills, and no one, including the coaches, will actually teach him anything, so he's knocking himself out trying to figure out what he's doing wrong. The coaches' disinterest in helping him is a little more understandable here, since these kids are supposed to be the cream of the cream from all of Japan, rather than just the best the school could talk into coming to them. Still, seems terribly counterproductive.

Hana was a real cutie as a kid. The eyecatches in Ep 8 made me sad though. It looks like she was a fearless soccer firebrand as a little girl, but got clumsy and tentative when puberty hit, as naturally happens to all girls. (/bitter sarcasm) At least she can be on Aoi's support team. Rolling Eyes I still do like her character though, which is why I'm so disappointed on her behalf.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:48 pm Reply with quote

And now we've reached the stage where Sawamura Aoi is told he will never be the ace, only a reliever, I mean a defender, at best. But Fukuda's coaching is even more egregious, although his excuse of "If I'd told you the truth, you wouldn't have come here," is a pretty honest one.

Luckily Aoi has his female support team to back him up, though Hana isn't so sure of her own position on the team now either. Wait'll she hears what big bro told Aoi.

Btw, lol at the crows flying overhead chatting about the game last week. That was unexpectedly surreal. Very Happy Maybe our fine feathered footy fans will help Aoi get through this until he inevitably proves Fukuda wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1